Clauses Excercise

 

Exercise 1

Identify the phrases and clauses in the following sentences.

  1. I completed my project, but I was not satisfied with it.
  2. Jacob knew about it; however he kept asking everyone about it.
  3. I was waiting at the park.
  4. They all sang extremely well.
  5. The girls in the black dresses are the ones who won the competition last year.
  6. In the meantime, I will help you with your domestic chores.
  7. Santana and Brittany are good dancers.
  8. When we reach home, we will call you.
  9. We were planning our summer vacation.
  10. She finally agreed to come with us to the slumber party.

 Exercise 2

Identify the Main and Subordinate Clauses in the given sentences.

1.     After we reached home, we watched a movie.
2.     I know how to drive a car, but I enjoy riding bikes.
3.     Today is Wednesday.
4.     While we were waiting at the bus stop, we saw a monkey snatching a snack from a little boy.
5.     My mom asked me to call her as soon as I boarded the bus.
6.     When I met you, I did not think we would get this close.
7.     It was my sister’s birthday yesterday; however, she did not want to celebrate.
8.     Everybody knows the boy who won the Best Outgoing Student Award.

Exercise 3

Point out the Noun Clauses in the following sentences:

1.     I often wonder how you are getting on.
2.     I fear that I shall fail.
3.     He replied that he would come.
4.     Do you deny that you stole the watch?
5.     I thought that it would be a fine day.
6.     That you should cheat me hurts me.
7.     No one knows who he is.
8.     He saw that the clock had stopped.
9.     That you should say this is very strange.
10.  I don't see how you can get out of this mess.

Exercise 4

Complete the following by adding suitable Noun Clauses:

1.     I cannot understand ___________.
2.     ___________ is true.
3.     They all said ___________.
4.     I think ___________.
5.     ___________ is a well known fact.
6.     ___________ is quite certain.
7.     ___________ is remarkable.
8.     Have you heard ___________?
9.     He was pleased with ___________.
10.  _____________ is exactly the one I was looking for.

Exercise 5

In each of the following sentences replace the words in italics by suitable Noun Clauses:-

1.     The time of his coming no one can guess.
2.     I heard of his success.
3.     The reason of his failure will never be known.
4.     I predict a change in the weather.
5.     The jury believed the man guilty.
6.     We expect an improvement in business.
7.     Who can doubt the truth of his statement?
8.     I know him to be trustworthy.
9.     I do not believe the account given by him.
10.  He confessed his guilt.

Exercise 6

Pick out the Adjective Clauses in the following sentences, and tell what noun or pronoun each qualifies:

1.     Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.
2.     The letter brought money which was badly needed.
3.     The house that I live in belongs to my father.
4.     I am monarch of all I survey.
5.     I have a little shadow which goes in and out with me.
6.     The dog that bites does not bark.
7.     He tells a tale that sounds untrue.
8.     It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
9.     The boy stood on the burning deck whence all but he had fled.
10.  They never fail who die in a great cause.

Exercise 7

Supply suitable Adjective Clauses:-

1.     I know the place __________.
2.     He is the man __________.
3.     The house __________ is a hundred years old.
4.     His offence is one __________.
5.     Where is the book __________?
6.     Boys __________ will not be promoted.
7.     He has lost the book __________.
8.     I found the book __________.
9.     I know the man __________.
10.  No man __________ shall suffer in any way.

Exercise 8

In each of the following sentences replace each Adjective Phrase by an Adjective Clause:

1.     A man of industrious habits is sure to succeed.
2.     He told us the time of his arrival.
3.     The time for departing has now arrived.
4.     Do you know the road leading to the temple?
5.     I have a box, filled with almonds.
6.     We all admire a man of courage.
7.     A city on a hill cannot be hid.
8.     The people in the gallery could not hear.
9.     You can have anything of your liking.
10.  The houses of the Burmans are generally built of bamboo.

Exercise 9

Pick out the Adverb Clauses in the following sentences:

1.     You may sit wherever you like.
2.     He fled where his pursuers could not follow.
3.     He behaves as one might expect him to do.
4.     Because you have done this I shall punish you.
5.     As he was not there, I spoke to his brother.
6.     If you eat too much you will be ill.
7.     He finished first though he began late.
8.     Will you wait till I return?
9.     Just as he entered the room the clock struck.
10.  They went where living was cheaper.

Exercise 10

Supply suitable Adverb Clauses:

1.     Do not go __________.
2.     He is not so clever __________.
3.     I was so hurried __________.
4.     He ran so fast __________.
5.     He always does __________.
6.     He spoke so low __________.
7.     I shall do nothing __________.
8.     Fools rush in __________.
9.     Nobody likes him __________.
10.  Open rebuke is better __________.

Exercise 11

In each of the following sentences replace each Adverb Phrase by an Adverb Clause:

1.     On his return we asked him many questions.
2.     Do it to the best of your ability.
3.     The prince was met on his arrival by his secretary.
4.     In spite of poverty he became distinguished.
5.     Upon seeing the signal the troops set out.
6.     Nobody must expect to become rich without hard work.
7.     They were very grateful to him for his kindness.
8.     In comparison with air water is heavy.
9.     The weather is too bright to last.
10.  My heart is too full for words.

Exercise 12

Fill in the blanks with the most appropriate clause.

  1. You may sit ______________.
  2. ______________, I spoke to her sister.
  3. Will you wait ______________?
  4. I fear ______________.
  5. I do not know ______________.
  6. I think ______________.
  7. Mary had a little lamb ______________.
  8. Here is the copy ______________.
  9. She never does anything ______________.
  10. The house ______________ belongs to my grandfather.

 Answers of Exercise 12

  1. You may sit wherever you like.
  2. As she was not there, I spoke to her sister.
  3. Will you wait till I return?
  4. I fear that I shall fail.
  5. I do not know what he wants.
  6. I think you have made a mistake.
  7. Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.
  8. Here is the copy you want.
  9. She never does anything unless her parents allow it.
  10. The house that I live in belongs to my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment