THE CLAUSE

The Clause

The Clause

Some Terms of English Grammar
  • Letters: Written symbols which represent one of the sounds in a language.
  • A Word: A single unit of language that means something and can be spoken or written.
  • A Phrase: A group of words that works together in a sentence but does not contain a subject or a verb.
  • A Clause: Defined as a group of words that includes a subject and a verb and forms a sentence or part of a sentence.
  • A Sentence: Means a group of words that makes complete sense. It begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop. It always contains a finite verb. A sentence may be a statement, question, exclamation, or command. It consists of a main clause and one or more subordinate clauses.
Difference between a Phrase and a Clause
Column A (Phrases) Column B (Clauses)
1. One of my friends had come to visit me. (NP) 1. I know what you want. (NC)
2. The students were given a difficult question. (NP) 2. What you want is not my concern. (NC)
3. She was taller than all of her classmates. (AdjP) 3. The girl whose parents died last year was adopted by my uncle. (AdjC)
4. The question given was too easy. (AdjP) 4. The painting we bought last week is a fake. (AdjC)
5. He bakes cakes every Sunday. (AdvP) 5. I will tell the truth wherever I please. (AdvC)
6. A truck came at a very high speed. (AdvP) 6. He acts like it is a joke. (AdvC)
7. The space under the gray shed is overgrown and needs to be cleared out. (Prep.P)
8. The cat jumped onto the counter. (Prep.P)
9. The dogs have been barking continuously. (VP)

The italic parts of the sentences given in Column A are phrases because they do not contain a subject and a predicate. They are a group of words, which makes sense, but not complete sense.

The italic parts of the sentences given in Column B are clauses because they contain a Subject and a Predicate.

Types of Clauses

Consider the following examples:

  • When I grow up, I want to be a doctor.
  • Although I like him, I hate his dressing sense.

In the examples given above, underlined clauses are the independent clauses, while italicized clauses are the dependent clauses.

  1. Independent Clause (or Main Clause): A clause that can stand on its own as a distinct sentence.
  2. Dependent Clause (or Subordinate Clause): In contrast, is not a complete sentence. These clauses depend on independent clauses to clearly express ideas.
Functions of Dependent Clause

Subordinate Clauses can perform three distinct functions: They can operate as nouns, adjectives, or adverbs.

1. Noun Clause
I know what you want.

Here, "what you want" is a dependent clause that acts as a noun. Therefore, it is a Noun Clause.

Features of a Noun Clause:
  1. Many noun clauses start with "that," "how," or a "wh"-word (i.e., "what," "who," "which," "when," "where," or "why").
  2. It plays any of the functions of a noun (subject, direct object, indirect object, subject complement, and object of a preposition).
Function of NC Example Sentence Explanation
SubjectWhat he said surprised everyone.Acts as the subject of the sentence.
ObjectShe didn't know where he went.Functions as the direct object.
Subject ComplementThe truth is that he lied.Follows a linking verb and renames the subject.
Object ComplementThey made him what he is today.Renames or describes the object after the verb.
AppositiveThe idea that he could win was exciting.Renames or gives additional information about a noun.
Object of PrepositionShe is interested in whatever he says.Follows a preposition and completes its phrase.
2. Adjective Clause
The boy I met last week was a thief.

Here, "I met last week" is a dependent clause that acts like an adjective. Therefore, it is an Adjective Clause.

Features of an Adjective Clause:
  1. It starts with a relative pronoun (who, whom, whose, that, or which) or a relative adverb (when, where, or why).
  2. It tells the quality of the noun.
Function of Adj Clause Example Sentence Explanation
Modify NounsThe book that I borrowed is fascinating.Describes or gives more information about a noun.
Modify PronounsShe is the one who won the award.Provides more information about a pronoun.
Indicate QuantityThey offered all that they could.Specifies extent/quantity in relation to the noun.
Show PossessionThe man whose car was stolen is at the station.Indicates possession or relationship to the noun.
Ask Questions (Indirect)Do you know who is coming?Provides additional information about the noun.
Emphasize SelectionThe students who studied hard passed.Emphasizes specific members within a group.
3. Adverbial Clause
I will have lunch when my brother arrives.

Here, "when my brother arrives" is a dependent clause that acts like an adverb. Therefore, it is an Adverbial Clause.

Function of Adv Clause Example Sentence Explanation
Modify VerbsShe sings because she loves music.Provides a reason for the action.
Indicate TimeAfter the meeting ended, they went out.Tells when the action took place.
Indicate PlaceYou can sit wherever you like.Specifies the location of the action.
Indicate FrequencyWhenever I see him, he smiles.Describes how often the action occurs.
Indicate DegreeHe is more successful than he imagined.Compares degree or extent of success.
Indicate PurposeHe studies hard so that he can pass.Explains the purpose of the action.
Indicate ConditionIf it rains, we will stay indoors.Sets a condition for the action.
Indicate ContrastAlthough it was raining, they went out.Shows contrast or concession.
Ask Questions (Indirect)I wonder how he solved the problem.Provides details about the situation.
Practice Exercises
Exercise 1: Identify Phrases & Clauses

Identify the phrases and clauses in the following sentences.

  1. I completed my project, but I was not satisfied with it.
  2. Jacob knew about it; however he kept asking everyone about it.
  3. I was waiting at the park.
  4. They all sang extremely well.
  5. The girls in the black dresses are the ones who won the competition last year.
  6. In the meantime, I will help you with your domestic chores.
  7. Santana and Brittany are good dancers.
  8. When we reach home, we will call you.
  9. We were planning our summer vacation.
  10. She finally agreed to come with us to the slumber party.
Show Answers for Exercise 1
  1. I completed my project – Clause; but I was not satisfied with it – Clause
  2. Jacob knew about it – Clause; however he kept asking everyone about it – Clause
  3. I was waiting at the park – Clause
  4. They all sang extremely well – Clause
  5. in the black dresses – Phrase; who won the competition last year – Clause
  6. In the meantime – Phrase; I will help you with your domestic chores – Clause
  7. Santana and Brittany – Phrase; are good dancers – Clause
  8. When we reach home – Clause; we will call you – Clause
  9. We were planning our summer vacation – Clause
  10. to come with us to the slumber party – Phrase; She finally agreed – Clause
Exercise 2: Identify Main & Subordinate Clauses

Identify the Main and Subordinate Clauses in the given sentences.

  1. After we reached home, we watched a movie.
  2. I know how to drive a car, but I enjoy riding bikes.
  3. Today is Wednesday.
  4. While we were waiting at the bus stop, we saw a monkey snatching a snack from a little boy.
  5. My mom asked me to call her as soon as I boarded the bus.
  6. When I met you, I did not think we would get this close.
  7. It was my sister’s birthday yesterday; however, she did not want to celebrate.
  8. Everybody knows the boy who won the Best Outgoing Student Award.
Show Answers for Exercise 2
  1. Subordinate: After we reached home | Main: we watched a movie.
  2. Main: I know how to drive a car | Main: I enjoy riding bikes | Subordinate: how to drive a car
  3. Main: Today is Wednesday.
  4. Subordinate: While we were waiting at the bus stop | Main: we saw a monkey snatching a snack from a little boy.
  5. Main: My mom asked me to call her | Subordinate: as soon as I boarded the bus.
  6. Subordinate: When I met you | Main: I did not think | Subordinate: we would get this close.
  7. Main: It was my sister’s birthday yesterday | Main: she did not want to celebrate.
  8. Main: Everybody knows the boy | Subordinate: who won the Best Outgoing Student Award.
Exercise 3: Complete with Suitable Noun Clauses
  1. I cannot understand ___________.
  2. ___________ is true.
  3. They all said ___________.
  4. I think ___________.
  5. ___________ is a well known fact.
  6. ___________ is quite certain.
  7. ___________ is remarkable.
  8. Have you heard ___________?
  9. He was pleased with ___________.
  10. _____________ is exactly the one I was looking for.
Show Answers for Exercise 3
  1. I cannot understand why he is angry.
  2. What she said is true.
  3. They all said that they were ready.
  4. I think that she will win.
  5. That the Earth is round is a well-known fact.
  6. That he will succeed is quite certain.
  7. What she has achieved is remarkable.
  8. Have you heard what happened yesterday?
  9. He was pleased with what I had done.
  10. What you have shown me is exactly the one I was looking for.
Exercise 4: Replace Words/Phrases with Noun Clauses
  1. The time of his coming no one can guess.
  2. I heard of his success.
  3. The reason of his failure will never be known.
  4. I predict a change in the weather.
  5. The jury believed the man guilty.
  6. We expect an improvement in business.
  7. Who can doubt the truth of his statement?
  8. I know him to be trustworthy.
  9. I do not believe the account given by him.
  10. He confessed his guilt.
Show Answers for Exercise 4
  1. When he will come, no one can guess.
  2. I heard that he had succeeded.
  3. Why he failed will never be known.
  4. I predict that the weather will change.
  5. The jury believed that the man was guilty.
  6. We expect that business will improve.
  7. Who can doubt that his statement is true?
  8. I know that he is trustworthy.
  9. I do not believe what he said.
  10. He confessed that he was guilty.
Exercise 5: Supply Suitable Adjective Clauses
  1. I know the place __________.
  2. He is the man __________.
  3. The house __________ is a hundred years old.
  4. His offence is one __________.
  5. Where is the book __________?
  6. Boys __________ will not be promoted.
  7. He has lost the book __________.
  8. I found the book __________.
  9. I know the man __________.
  10. No man __________ shall suffer in any way.
Show Answers for Exercise 5
  1. I know the place where he lives.
  2. He is the man who helped me.
  3. The house which stands on the hill is a hundred years old.
  4. His offence is one which cannot be forgiven.
  5. Where is the book which I gave you?
  6. Boys who do not work hard will not be promoted.
  7. He has lost the book which I gave him.
  8. I found the book which I was looking for.
  9. I know the man who lives next door.
  10. No man who is honest shall suffer in any way.
Exercise 6: Replace Adjective Phrases with Adjective Clauses
  1. A man of industrious habits is sure to succeed.
  2. He told us the time of his arrival.
  3. The time for departing has now arrived.
  4. Do you know the road leading to the temple?
  5. I have a box, filled with almonds.
  6. We all admire a man of courage.
  7. A city on a hill cannot be hid.
  8. The people in the gallery could not hear.
  9. You can have anything of your liking.
  10. The houses of the Burmans are generally built of bamboo.
Show Answers for Exercise 6
  1. A man who is industrious is sure to succeed.
  2. He told us the time when he would arrive.
  3. The time when we should depart has now arrived.
  4. Do you know the road which leads to the temple?
  5. I have a box which is filled with almonds.
  6. We all admire a man who has courage.
  7. A city which is on a hill cannot be hid.
  8. The people who were in the gallery could not hear.
  9. You can have anything that you like.
  10. The houses which belong to the Burmans are generally built of bamboo.
Exercise 7: Supply Suitable Adverb Clauses
  1. Do not go __________.
  2. He is not so clever __________.
  3. I was so hurried __________.
  4. He ran so fast __________.
  5. He always does __________.
  6. He spoke so low __________.
  7. I shall do nothing __________.
  8. Fools rush in __________.
  9. Nobody likes him __________.
  10. Open rebuke is better __________.
Show Answers for Exercise 7
  1. Do not go where you are not allowed.
  2. He is not so clever as I thought he was.
  3. I was so hurried that I could not finish my breakfast.
  4. He ran so fast that nobody could catch him.
  5. He always does whatever his teacher tells him to do.
  6. He spoke so low that nobody could hear him.
  7. I shall do nothing until you give me permission.
  8. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
  9. Nobody likes him because he is rude to everyone.
  10. Open rebuke is better than secret love.
Exercise 8: Replace Adverb Phrases with Adverb Clauses
  1. On his return we asked him many questions.
  2. Do it to the best of your ability.
  3. The prince was met on his arrival by his secretary.
  4. In spite of poverty he became distinguished.
  5. Upon seeing the signal the troops set out.
  6. Nobody must expect to become rich without hard work.
  7. They were very grateful to him for his kindness.
  8. In comparison with air water is heavy.
  9. The weather is too bright to last.
  10. My heart is too full for words.
Show Answers for Exercise 8
  1. When he returned, we asked him many questions.
  2. Do it as well as you are able to do it.
  3. The prince was met by his secretary when he arrived.
  4. Although he was poor, he became distinguished.
  5. When the troops saw the signal, they set out.
  6. Nobody must expect to become rich unless he works hard.
  7. They were very grateful to him because he had been kind to them.
  8. Water is heavy when it is compared with air.
  9. The weather is so bright that it cannot last.
  10. My heart is so full that I cannot express my feelings in words.
Exercise 9: Fill in the Blanks with Appropriate Clauses
  1. You may sit ______________.
  2. ______________, I spoke to her sister.
  3. Will you wait ______________?
  4. I fear ______________.
  5. I do not know ______________.
  6. I think ______________.
  7. Mary had a little lamb ______________.
  8. Here is the copy ______________.
  9. She never does anything ______________.
  10. The house ______________ belongs to my grandfather.
Show Answers for Exercise 9
  1. You may sit wherever you like.
  2. When I reached the station, I spoke to her sister.
  3. Will you wait until I return?
  4. I fear that he may fail.
  5. I do not know where he live.
  6. I think that you are right.
  7. Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow.
  8. Here is the copy that you asked for.
  9. She never does anything that is against the rules.
  10. The house which was built last year belongs to my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment